I just received my new T-Mobile myTouch 4G in the mail today and fired it up (for those interested, we’ll have a video review shortly).
30 minutes into using it I ran into a UI glitch that makes the device unusable and only disappears when you reset the phone.
To reproduce the bug, try the following:
- Launch the YouTube app
- Play something that has HD off the featured list (first screen)
- After it starts to play, flip to landscape mode
- NOTE: Myself and 1 other myTouch 4G user noted that the video is not rotated and expanded like it should be, instead it is simply stretched… sideways… and left un-rotated in landscape mode.
- Now hit the Menu button and click Settings
At this point, your screen should be half-split between some black video playback box and the menu underneath that won’t render. Try and do anything else at this point and screen output flips around like crazy no matter what you try.
I’ve reproduced the issue 4x on my myTouch 4G since receiving it and created a video of the issue here:
Here are some system settings from my phone incase that helps with reproduction and troubleshooting:
- Stock myTouch 4G OS (no customizations, rootkits, hacks, nada… I found this bug 30 mins after booting it up)
- Android 2.2 (not 2.2.1)
- Software number: 1.14.531.1
- YouTube 2.0.26 installed from the Market
Update #1: After a few factory resets, wiping the memory card that comes with the phone and installing all the updates for the apps that come pre-installed on the phone, this issue is no longer happening for me.
A friend that followed the same steps (and had the same problems) is still having the video-rotation glitch (where the video is not rotated and instead stretched when the phone is turned horizontally) but the UI scrolling glitch is no longer happening on his phone.