Iran Missile Launch Photo is a Fake

Did you see the above picture yesterday or did a friend forward it to you? I got it in my inbox and over IM a few times and it looks like it’s made it’s rounds online:

We better be scared right? A story with the word “Iran” in it, and then the associated picture. If I was more inbred or incapable of basic though, I’d say that the Washington propoganda machine is working on selling an Iran-attack. I can’t help but think that this has happened before… oh right, THAT.

Unfortunately for Washington, but fortunately for man kind, the White House doesn’t seem able to hire very good graphic artists as it was uncovered a few hours later that the photo has quite a few inconsistencies in it, namely:

So what’s the deal? Here’s my take on it:

• McCain has already been chosen to win
    • NOTE: For folks that are enraged that I might suggest candidates are chosen well in advance… just consider that when the “right”, most interest-friendly candidate is chose, there are trillions of dollars made by these interests collectively. Profit like that isn’t left up to chance and some crossed fingers.
  • Start selling the Iran war now, let Bush and Cheney “get out” so they seem disconnected from the whole thing.
  • McCain makes the “decision” to go after Iran when he enters office
  • Everyone pats each other on the back for a job well done
  • We get another 8 years of McCain, war and the continued explosion of the military-industrial complex

I know, I’m a leftie, freak, idiot, fuck-brains… but let’s wait until November before we decide that officially and I get shirts printed and redact my statement. I also wouldn’t mind all the circumstantial evidence suggesting I’m right.

Update #1: Maclean’s.ca Blog has an update to the story. Apparently the photoshoping was done to cover up failed missle launches in the array and the US’s official response was along the lines of Typical of Iran to act tougher than they are.

With the amount of powerful opposition against Iran, is anyone else curious why they would be puffing-up like this assuming it was true? They may hate America, fine, but they aren’t mentally handicap…

Update #2: Ok to lighten the mood a bit, this found it’s way into my inbox, figured I’d share:

Tags: , , , , , ,

About Riyad Kalla

Software development, video games, writing, reading and anything shiny. I ultimately just want to provide a resource that helps people and if I can't do that, then at least make them laugh.

, , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Iran Missile Launch Photo is a Fake”

1. johna July 10, 2008 at 7:59 am #

You do know this photo was released by the Iranian military, right?

2. Riyad Kalla July 10, 2008 at 9:18 am #

Johna,
    I think your interpretation of this fake image depend on what you believe.

If you believe that the US Govt over the last 8 years has been functioning above-board and everything we have heard about Saddam, Iraq and now Iran is true, then I think you would interpret this picture as Iran posturing to look bigger than they are to strike fear into their opponents hearts.

If you believe that the US Govt acts as a puppet-extension of world-wide corporations and that Iraq was about oil and sweet-heart construction, military and service deals worth trillions upon trillions of dollars, not-including unaccounted aid money that was lost or what is reaped from the oil fields, then I think you interpret this photo as pro-Iran-war propaganda fed into the media to start getting the American people behind the war.

The exact same thing happened with Iraq… about a year out we started seeing “stories” and “news” about how bad things were, tyrannical, etc.

So back to your original statement, I think “knowing” that this photo was released by the Iranian military depends heavily on how you feel about the US war policy over the last decade.

Just as an objective outsider looking in, our behavior towards war trends towards “initiate at all costs, and then stay put no matter what”.

70% population against the war? Who cares, stay!
    23% presidential approval rating? Who cares, stay!
    Cost 2 trillion dollars to US tax payers? Who cares, stay!
    Hundreds of billions of sweet-heart deals to companies with government official ties? Who cares, stay!

you get the idea… what we say and what we do are two completely different things.

3. Paul July 10, 2008 at 9:35 am #

so….. your not going to answer the question?

Did you know?

Just answer with a yes or a no — save us the diatrbie of your personel beliefs

4. Riyad Kalla July 10, 2008 at 9:51 am #

Paul,
    It’s not a yes or no question. That’s like the school-yard question you trick your friends with:

“Have your parents caught you masturbating?”

and the person says “I don’t masturbate”, and then you say “Just answer the question with a yes or no”, either way it implies you masturbate. But what if you don’t?

I don’t see this as a yes/no question, but I’m guessing you do, don’t agree with what I typed, hate me, and we would likely end up punching each other in the throat if we sat down to a nice lunch and started discussing politics.

Is that in the ballpark?

• kalish February 12, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

Man I agree with iraq for oil and stuff like that but what are you trying to say here? Did you know the Iran officially claims the paternity of the photo? That is a clear question, a yes or no one. So what do you believe? You think the US ans Iran are friends and conspire together? This is a propaganda picture from Iran, maybe on purpose of elections coming soon, you don’t help conspiracy theories with your coward way to answer questions, can’t you admit you make some mistakes sometimes.

• kalish February 12, 2013 at 1:59 pm #

the answer wpuld be simply “no! they didn’t caught me masturbating cause I don’t”. (But I do), simple as that.

5. Paul July 10, 2008 at 10:51 am #

ain’t hate

your misdirection only fools yourself

they can’t catch if you don’t do it–

works the same for masturbation as it does for fake photos or fake indignation

6. Paul July 10, 2008 at 10:55 am #

and it is a yes/no — Did the Iranian goverment make the phot or did the US ?

simple yes/no

did the Iranians post it or did the US — simple yes/no

Now as to why did they post it — that is not a yes/no

Questions asked by using the word DID is always a yes/no

Questions asked by using why never are

7. Steven July 10, 2008 at 12:19 pm #

The 4 missile version came from Agence France-Presse who claimed they received it directly from the Iranian Revolutionary Guard’s media site, Sepah News. The Associated Press also posted an identical photo that they obtained from Sepah News but only had 3 missiles.

So if I understand it correctly the Iranian Revolutionary Guard and/or the France Presse are getting their graphics from a DC based republican backed, right wing graphic designer?

I doubt they would post graphics from the Whitehouse. What probably happened as has in most cases, some graphically challenged person at the AFP or the Sepah News posted it and it spread.

8. Jason Nichols July 10, 2008 at 3:57 pm #

As Steven says, the photo was released by Iran. Presumably they doctored it (poorly) to cover the failure of one missle to launch.

Guess we didn’t need to wait until November to learn this blogger was a “leftie, freak, idiot”, etc?

9. Anonymous July 11, 2008 at 9:36 am #

Please no one come back to this blog again. Please. I will never understand why libs go after THEIR own government. It’s crazy.

This blogger actually blamed th U.S.! Instead of Iran who actually released the photo. That is just crazy.

10. Riyad Kalla July 11, 2008 at 11:13 am #

@Anonymous, that’s a good point, why oh why we would possibly think the US would lie about initiating an uncountably profitable war… I’ll have to sit and think about that one.

11. Andrew July 11, 2008 at 11:39 am #

This photo was made by Iran, not USA. Please correct your post before misinforming MORE people, as I just sent this to people saying “WTF USA PHOTOSHOPPED THIS SHIT” only to find that is NOT THE CASE.

See this article for example.

12. Anonymous July 15, 2008 at 10:02 am #

im from iran we hate our gov. these son of bitches that control iran haved fucked up irannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn we have slept on oil but we don have gas to run our car :(

13. Didereaux July 17, 2008 at 9:57 am #

Well it’s certain now that the Iran missile photo was faked. But here’s one that looks to be authentic that show an Iranian missile launch.
    [url="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3020/2664948323_fd20e7299f_o.jpg"]Flickr Source[/url]

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3020/2664948323_fd20e7299f_o.jpg[/img]

dd

14. Anonymous July 18, 2008 at 6:55 am #

@dd

hahha, definitely not a doctored photo. I like that one the best.