Update #1: For 3G iPhone users, you have to turn off 3G before enabling WiFi right before unlocking in last section. Instructions updated.
Update #2: For quick reference, T-Mobile user’s make sure to use the APN internet2.voicestream.com in order for data to work on your phones.
As a follow-on to our really popular Firmware 2.2.1, Firmware 2.1 and Firmware 2.0 guides, here is our “How to install the iPhone 3.0 Firmware guide on iPhones then jailbreak them and get them to run on other networks” guide.
Apple recently released the newest 3.0 operating system for the iPhone and iPod Touch. This is a guide for installing, jail breaking and unlocking the baseband on the phone for the use on “unsupported carriers” like T-Mobile. So let’s get started…
WARNING: This process will effectively reinstall the OS on your iPhone or iPod Touch. If you have a lot of jailbroken customizations or apps on your phone, they will all be lost during this process. Any application or piece of data that iTunes doesn’t sync to your PC, won’t be restored after this process is complete, so please be aware of this before starting.
First download and install the newest version of Itunes (8.2)
Next plug in your iPhone and makes sure iTunes syncs the data on it. iTunes will then tell you that an iPhone update is available, go ahead and apply the update.
Update #3: The current official firmware from Apple is 3.1 and the instruction below using redsn0w only work on cracking Firmware 3.0, so you will need to manually download the 3.0 firmware linked below and Shift-Click on the Update button in iTunes and select the downloaded firmware instead of applying the official one.
NOTE: At this point, if you are on an unsupported carrier, iTunes will finish applying the new firmware and then notify you that your SIM is unsupported and can not be activated. This is OK, we just applied the official Apple firmware to the phone so we expected this to happen. Don’t worry, later down this guide we are going to crack this sucker open.
Preparing the Cracks
Next download Redsn0w (the “0″ in snow is a zero, not the letter “o”)
Download the 3.0 firmware for your iPhone or iPod Touch. Be sure to grab the correct firmware based on the revision of iPhone or iPod you are using. Here are some quick-links for you:
- 1st Generation, “2G” iPhone 3.0 Firmware (229mb)
- 2nd Generation, “3G” iPhone 3.0 Firmware (230mb)
- Handy Firmware Website: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/
If you have an 1st Generation “2G” iPhone, you will need in addition 2 bootloader files (3.9 and 4.6). You can get them here:
You can unzip redsn0w and drop all the files into the directory to get ready for the next steps, it will look something like this (your directory contents may vary):
Jail Breaking and Unlocking
Now let’s launch redsn0w.exe:
- click Browse and locate your .ipsw file, then click Open:
- redsn0w will verify the IPSW file for you and then hit Next:
- redsn0w will now modify the IPSW file for you by patching it with the necessary cracks in place and prepare the file for your device:
- Now on the next screen redsn0w will ask you which bits of bootstraping software you want to install (Cydia and Icy) and if you have a 1st Generation “2G” iPhone, redsn0w will also offer you an Unlock option. For 3G iPhone users, you unlock the phone a different way (at the end of this guide). I would recommend just selecting everything and hitting next:NOTE: JJ mentions down in the comments some issues with Cydia that may be caused by Icy. If you don’t need Icy, don’t include it.
- For 1st Generation “2G” iPhone Users ONLY: If you selected to Unlock the phone, redsn0w will now ask you for the location of the two bootloader files you downloaded before (.bin files, versions 3.9 and 4.6), go ahead and select them and hit Next:
WARNING: You will now be presented with a preparation screen for Jail Breaking your phone. Be sure to TURN YOUR PHONE OFF before starting this next step.
After you click Next, redsn0w will give you instructions on how to get your phone right into “DFU-mode” by hitting a sequence of buttons that look like this:
- Hold the power button for 3 seconds
- Without releasing the power button, also hold the home button for 10 seconds
- Without releasing the home button, release the power button BUT KEEP holding the home button for 30 seconds
- NOTE: On the last step, you won’t likely actually need to hold it for 30 secs, it’s more like 15 or 20 secs before the phone begins the cracking process. If you screw up the sequence, power-cycle the phone and try again.
When your phone enters the cracking process, the display will show you something like this while it’s being Jail Broken:
Once the cracking process is done, don’t forget to re-sync your phone with iTunes to restore all the data that was on it.
WARNING: Custom wallpapers, jail broken apps, SMSs and other unofficial data that iTunes doesn’t backup will be lost at this point. So if you had a slew of favorite jail broken apps, you’ll need to re-add those.
Possibly All Done… APN!
Ok you’re almost all done, don’t forget to setup your APN so data access works on your phone. For US T-Mobile customers, try 1 of the following for your APN:
- internet3.voicestream.com (User JJ below points out that he had problems with internet2, so he used internet3 and all was right with the world)
If you have a 1st Generation “2G” iPhone, you are all done. Your 3.0 iPhone is now jailbroken and unlocked to run on unofficial networks. If you have a 2nd Generation 3G iPhone, please continue reading…
Unlocking Instructions for 3G iPhone Users…
REMINDER: This portion is only for 2nd Generation 3G iPhone users. If you have a 1st Generation “2G” iPhone, you are already done and unlocked your phone using redsn0w earlier.
- Turn OFF 3G under phone settings:
- Turn ON WiFi and make sure you have an internet connection on the phone.
- Next open Cydia (it will probably want to update and resart, go ahead and do that)
- Select “Manage”, then “Sources”, then “edit” then click “add”
- Enter URL “http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com” (the “o” in snow is a zero, not the letter “o”)
- Now search for the software “ultrasn0w”, don’t forget the zero in the name for the “0″
- Install Ultrasn0w
- Restart the phone
- On restart Ultrasn0w will unlock the 3G iPhone for you
All Done, For Everyone!
Congrats, you now have a software unlocked iPhone 3G!
Author’s Note: My 2nd Generation 3G iPhone did not initially like the 3.0 Firmware upgrade that I applied and cracked. I was having a lot of stability issues with it. I had to restore the iPhone through iTunes and go back through the process a 2nd time before everything worked smoothly. If you run into the same issue, try restoring your iPhone and going through the guide a 2nd time.