Class Action Lawsuit against Sony for “Green Haze” or “Green Blob” SXRD Problem

PLEASE READ FIRST

Welcome! This post was written years ago when people first started discovering the “green blob“, “yellow haze” or “blue tinge” discolorations on their 50″, 60″ and 70″ SXRD rear-projection HDTV’s from Sony. Years later (and many updates to this story as we went through the discovery process together) it was discovered the optical block in the Sony SXRD sets was faulty and distorting over time, causing the discoloration. Sony denied this vehemently all the way to a class action lawsuit that they settled, offering an extended warranty (until Oct of ’09) to all owners for a free optical block replacement. 2009 has come and gone and Sony TVs are still failing all over the place. More recently people have discovered that Sony (fairly regularly) will now offer replacement TV sets at discounted prices to people that call. For the most part the first TVs offered tend to be smaller (46″) and older (500 series LCD) and only with some persistence are people being offered newer or bigger replacement TVs from Sony – all at a discount. All the updates below try and summaries all those changes over the last 4 years every time a new piece of information was learned. I hope it helps!

Update #12: If you are planning on calling Sony and negotiating a replacement TV and they only offer you the 46″ model and nothing bigger (and you want something bigger and are willing to pay an upgrade cost) try emailing “Sarah” directly at sonylistens@am.sony.com to get your issue ironed out. Reader seventhseal had to go that route to get a higher end replacement offered to him.

Update #11: User BP called Sony about a repair, Sony offered him 2 replacement TV choices:

• 46″ LCD for Free (or)
  • 55″ LCD KDL55EX500 for $525 + Tax

BP asked why he wasn’t being offered a 60″ replacement for his 60″ SXRD that was ruined and the Sony rep told him it was a “take it or leave it” deal and he had 7 days to make up his mind.

BP hung up and called back the next day. He got a new customer service rep on the phone who offered him a 60″ KDL60EX500 for $150 + tax and was confused why the previous agent hadn’t told him about this.

If Sony is offering you a bunk deal when you call, hang up and try again another time to see if the deal improves! Thanks to BP for that information.

Update #10: User Mark called Sony and confirmed that the “Green Blob” is now part of a official recall from Sony who will send out a repair company to confirm the issue with your set and order the replacement part in 2 weeks to repair it. He did clarify that you cannot take “no” for an answer and just keep pushing. Here’s his reply with phone numbers for Sony and the repair shop:

I contacted Sony at 239-768-7604.

Sony has made the green blob an official recall of all affected TVs.

A&G National Repair (Which turned out to be Sears)comes to your house, verifies the model number, and the part is shipped to your house within 2 weeks. Contact them at 800-659-7060.

When you chat with Sony, don’t take no for an answer.

Update #9: User Eric provided an update link to learn more about the class action coverage and which sets are effected:

Update #6: Leo called Sony demanding a replacement and Sony replied that they only thing they could offer is a repair. Upon further pushing Leo was told that he could write the Executive Review Committee with his concerns. Here is the contact information courtesy of Leo:

Executive Review Commitee
12451 Gateway Blvd.
Fort Myers, FL 33913.

They asked me to include the following:

1. Request to commitee
  2. Model and Serial number
  3. Copy of bill of sale (or note on letter that I cannot provide one)
  4. Reference number (i got this from CS) and
  5. Telephone, email and home address.

The hope being that if enough people write with their complaints of the settlement, Sony might rise to the occasion and do something more (offer replacements?)

Update #5: The pending terms of the settlement were posted by long time reader DOBI below:

I just read the pending Class Action settlement on Sony’s website; http://esupport.sony.com/sxrdsettlement
This is really good for us who have these problem TV’s… Did you realize that SONY has extended all in home warranty service until June of 2009? And, if you own or received one of these XBR50 or XBR60’s you are part of the Class Action. You needn’t do anything to join it. You can Opt out of the Class Action, but who in the world would want to do that?
OK..
Look at the benefits;
What benefits does the Settlement provide?

• A5. Currently the Settlement is still pending final approval by the Court presiding over the case. If approved, the Settlement provides for Sony to offer the following benefits, with proper documentation:
    • An extension of the limited warranty to provide in-home service or replacement of the optical block in your Television until June 30, 2009, and special benefits in fulfilling this warranty extension.
    • The refund of expenses incurred to replace the optical block in your Television.
    • The refund of money paid after July 15, 2006 for an extended service plan for your Television from Sony or its extended service plan provider, Service Net Solutions, and cancellation of that extended service plan, if you so choose.
    • The refund of money paid to Sony for the exchange of your Television for an XBR2, A2000, or A2020 SXRD model television, if you required more than one repair of the optical block in your Television.

I have read on this Blog that some of you had your sets exchanged for another model and you had to pay a cash differental… Guess what.. You get your money back if I’ve read the Settlement correctly.
The best thing to me is, that SONY has extended service on these stinkers until June of 2009. We had our first OB replacement just a couple of weeks ago with the new improved OB.. Lets hope?
IF things go sour again, we have more time to contact SONY about it..
Read the Settlement, I didn’t know it exsisted until last night!

Original Post:

More information on the green discoloration issue on the Sony SXRD sets, it seems there is a class action lawsuit against Sony for this! I feel this is a good move, it is too easy to find a set having this problem for it to be a fluke and so far the only word from Sony about the issue that is reported over and over and over again by users and warranty technicians is that “there is no issue” or the most they acknowledged is so far as is a “warm up issue”, sorry, no it’s not.

Anyway ‘sourcery’ was given permission to post the lawyer’s contact information to the Sony A2000 thread that is handling the class action lawsuit, his information is as follows:

Robert I. Lax, Esq.
Robert I. Lax & Associates
535 Fifth Avenue
21st Floor
New York, New York 10017
Tel: (212) 818-9150
Fax: (212) 818-1266
rlax (at) lax-law (dot) com

According to ‘sourcery’ Robert is most interested in speaking with Sony technicians or folks that have spoken to Sony representatives about the green blob issue to hear how it was described from Sony’s perspective to the person or technician.

If you suffer from this problem or have information for Robert, feel free to contact him. (Digg this)

Update #1: Sony have a QA process problem? Yes it seems so. Sony was the producer of all the batteries that Dell just recently had to recall because a few of them were blowing up. Keep up the good work Sony.

Update #2: Robert Lax, the lawyer handling the Class Action Lawsuit has sent notice that the website is now online: http://www.sonysxrdtvclassaction.com/

Update #3: John W. has posted a new Sony Support URL for their FAQ system that declares extended support for XBR1 sets as well as Sony reimbursing any out-of-pocket expenses owners may have spent fixing their XBR1 sets.

Update #4: Ken has updated the comments to say that his XBR2 is already showing a yellow stain. So it seems the verdict is in and the XBR2 did not completely correct the issue.

NOTE: Updates 5 & 6 are at the top of the post

Update #7: Greg Witham, in the process of writing his own script for a YouTube video of how best to destroy his Sony TV, provided a link to a YouTuber that has already done so… by taking it out into the desert and shooting it to death. While we wait for Greg’s video, here’s gwamba’s:

YouTube Preview Image

Update #8: Got sent this video from The Onion, for all the Sony-haters out there, it’s hilarious:

Sony Releases New Stupid Piece Of Shit That Doesn’t Fucking Work

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

About Riyad Kalla

Software development, video games, writing, reading and anything shiny. I ultimately just want to provide a resource that helps people and if I can't do that, then at least make them laugh.

, , , , , , , ,

1,689 Responses to “Class Action Lawsuit against Sony for “Green Haze” or “Green Blob” SXRD Problem”

1. seventhseal January 25, 2011 at 9:31 am #

Well all, my XBR-52HX909 set finally arrived! It is awesome. I love it. Yep, I was able to switch to the HX909. I am glad I did. DB Schenker came, dropped it off and almost ran out the door! I had to ask them to wait until I at least checked the glass to make sure everything was ok. The guy said he delivered 2 other TVs of the same model that day for the same reason. One guy had blue tint issue, green blob and me with the green tint. Amazing – I laughed. He made out good I think. He said one guy gave him his old set. Anyway, a word to everyone – DON’T ALLOW THE DELIVERY GUY TO LEAVE until you at least check the glass or front panel. The rest of the stuff I checked that night (inputs, sound, blue-ray etc…). That they cannot expect for you to have it all checked with the guy there. But with some of the blogs I’ve seen with folks getting shattered replacement sets on avsforum, I was a little nervous. So I basically had to tie a leash to the delivery guy saying I aint signing anything till I open the box.

It paid off. Everything was great. I am a satisfied customer again. Now…time to start the project of opening up the SXRD!

Thanks everyone who went through much more difficult times in the beginning – making it much easier for us folks coming with failures on the tail end.

And, thanks Sony – you came through for me with great support. My home theater is again back in action – and with a touch of class! :)

2. jayoung January 25, 2011 at 1:23 pm #

How long did the process take? Once you mailed everything to the day your new set arrived?

3. Riyad Kalla January 28, 2011 at 8:43 am #

seventhseal, giant congrats on the the successful resolution to the Sony Green Blob nightmare and thanks for keeping us up to date with the story ever step of the way; it helped a lot of folks.

4. seventhseal January 26, 2011 at 9:39 am #

2 weeks for me (from mailing out documentation to TV in house).

5. Happy March 16, 2011 at 1:33 pm #

took 10 long days…but was really an easy process..

6. Jo D January 28, 2011 at 8:54 am #

Thanks again Riyad, I called them right away at 8 am and was nice and courteous to the help desk lady. within 20 minutes the whole issue was documented. They offered me a 55 inch lcd tv for 225 or a 46 inch led 3d tv for $410. I immediately took the 46 inch model. I just got done taking pictures and a word of note. They say the issue must be clearly visible. If you need an idea on a movie to display to fully show off the issue use Mark Walbergs, The Shooter at the end in the snow capped mountains. The green haze is very distinct there. Takes really good pictures to show the problem. Up until I put in the shooter I was having a difficult time find a picture that would fully show off the problem. I am now ready to run off to walmart to have the pictures printed then off to the post office to mail everything out. Thanks again Riyad you saved me a ton of money having to go and buy a new tv. Also I have been told that there are some cheap dealers out there that repair the optical block for $200 to $400. I will probably find someone I can trust and have that done and then have two tv’s. :)

7. Riyad Kalla January 28, 2011 at 9:01 am #

Jo that is excellent, I’m really glad to hear that things went smoothly and you are going to get a replacement that you’ll enjoy and not have to eyeball that blob of green every time you turn on the TV ;)

8. Ceedub February 27, 2011 at 10:04 pm #

I would also like to thank you, Riyad. My Sony 55A2020 (purchased in August of 2007) was also starting to show the green tint/haze through out the screen, I thought I was hosed until I started searching the net for help and came across your site. I called Sony and they offered me a 46NX810 or a 55NX810 for $660. I opted for the 55″ NX810. I sent Sony the pictures and serial number over the weekend using UPS next day air. I’ll update the site with what happens in the next few days.

9. sloane September 28, 2012 at 11:32 am #

Hi there I have a SONY weda model kdf-55wf655 and needing some help on what to do.Im getting green spots on it. I called SONY they said its to late. What do you think/?

10. Riyad Kalla February 28, 2011 at 7:49 am #

Ceedub, you are most welcome, I’m glad we could help! All credit goes to the folks in the community that went through the process, reported inside details back here and kept pushing forward. Without all you guys sharing that info I honestly think we would ALL think that our only option was to toss the TV out and move on with our lives.

It was only thanks to the folks that pushed and pushed and got the deals, then came back here and told us about it that then more people *knew* we could push Sony to respond appropriately and not just stone wall us.

This single post represents a lot of collaboration by thousands and thousands of people on the internet for the greater cause. I love that!

11. Ceedub March 3, 2011 at 6:42 pm #

Received e-mail from Sony yesterday saying the pictures and serial # had been received and the TV was approved for replacement. Three weeks for delivery. Hope I get it sooner than that. Replacement TV is 55″ NX810.

12. CAROLYN March 8, 2011 at 8:31 pm #

Boy do I need help/ In nov 05′ I bought a WEGA from Sony and it is one of the ones that was having trouble. I called Sony and a epair person. The repair person, recommended from Sony quoted me 250 to come and see it, and that it would probably be about 700.00 to repair. I opted for a new tv, and the WEGA WAS HAULED AWAY by Best Buy.
    I called Sony today and they told me, no photo, no replacement tv. They know from the records I have that I had it and it was having trouble.
    Any way you can suggest I proceed???
    All help is greatly appreciated.
    Carolyn

13. vic taucer August 10, 2012 at 7:49 am #

It seems you are on top of this issue..I have a Sony SXRD HDTV bought in 2008 from RC Willey…paid top dollar!!…just developing the yellow stain issue and in researching this am finding out this is a major problem..where do I start in getting resolution here?..any advise or contact numbers would be appreciated

Vic Taucer
    vic@casinocreations.com

14. Riyad Kalla March 10, 2011 at 8:23 am #

Carolyn, unless you can get the TV back from Best Buy, Sony isn’t likely going to do a repair on it.

But it sounds like you got a new TV already?

15. carolyn March 10, 2011 at 8:29 am #

Hello Riyad,
    They took the TV a year ago nd it is gone.
    I called them.
    Thank you for trying to help me.
    Carolyn

16. Ceedub March 13, 2011 at 11:03 am #

Update: I received my new KDL-55NX810. Altogether it took 14 days from my first contact with Sony to having it delivered to my front door. Seems to be an awesome set, I don’t know too much about it other than what I was able to find on the internet. I have thought about getting an extended warranty, but because the purchase price was much lower than it’s retail price I’m not sure if it would be worth it. If this set dies in a few years I’ll probably walk away from Sony products for good. If it lasts I’ll remain a customer. If anyone else has any information on extended warranties for these replacement sets I’d be appreciative to hear what you did? Thanks!

17. cg-in-az March 22, 2011 at 8:09 pm #

I had a 60″ with the same issues as mentioned earlier in this message board. Sent in the picture with the sticker. I opted for the 55″ NX810 for $660 + tax. I received an email stating the tv would be delivered within 3 weeks. I called a week later to get a status update and was told it would be shipped within the next 3 business days. A week passed and no email. I called Sony today and was told the 55″ is now unavailable and would be so for AT LEAST 4 – 6 more weeks. I was offered the 55″ HX800 for $575 or the 60″ NX810 for $1100 + tax. Are you kidding me?? $500 for 5 more inches? $100 per inch?? I wonder if Sony is delaying shipping the 55″ NX810 order to see if they can get rid of the HX800′s or make more profit on the 60″ NX810. I’m a bit frustrated that replacement of my tv has gone from 1 – 2 weeks to at least 6+ weeks. Has anyone else gotten the same story from Sony?

18. Kevin M March 23, 2011 at 4:34 am #

I have a similar story to cg-in-az. I had posted on March 13th that I was happy with the offer of 55″ NX810 for $660 + tax. At that time, I was expecting to receive shipment very soon. Maybe even sooner than the 3 weeks that was promised, as appeared to have been the case for several on this blog.

I sent an email to the SonyCares email address earlier last week, and was told that the order had not yet been allocated / fullfilled. So at the two-week mark (Friday, March 18th) I called Sony and talked to Orlando in their “Exchange” dept. He told me that it had been assigned to a warehouse on 3/15, but still no fullfillment on 3/18. He said he would call me on Monday, 3/21, to give me an update.

On my lunch hour Monday, I proactively called back and talked to a guy named Steve, He said he would contact Orlando and check into the delay. Eventually, Steve and Orlando called me back and told me they were out-of-stock on the NX810, with no ETA on when it would be available.

They then offered me the 55″ HX800 for the same price — $660 + tax — and they will give me the external wi-fi adaptor for free since this model does not have built in wi-fi.

I agreed to this, while being somewhat disappointed and surprised. I asked if they could expedite this order so I would receive by Friday of this week, which would fulfill their 3-week promise. No word on this as of yet. Otherwise, it APPEARS I will get the TV sometime next week, if there are no further surprises.

Will keep this forum posted.

19. JDavis March 24, 2011 at 9:32 am #

I was just on the Sony Style web page and the 55″ NX810 is no longer listed there. I had just visited that site last Friday and it was still there. They must have discontinued it and are getting ready for a new line of TV models.

20. cg-in-az March 24, 2011 at 1:11 pm #

I contacted the Exchange department today to review my options from 2 days ago. I was told they have no record of me being offered the 60″ NX810. After explaining my previous discussion and questioning why they are changing the ‘offers’, I was told that the 60″ was now unavailable also. My only option now is to wait for the NX810 to become available or accept the lesser HX800. My frustration grows as things seem to change everyday with this company. If they are discontinuing the NX810′s, where is Sony planning on getting more in 4 – 6 weeks? Will Sony only offer lesser quality replacement tv’s?

21. Kevin M March 26, 2011 at 9:22 am #

I did finally receive the substituted 55″ HX800 on 3/25. However, I have not yet received the wi-fi adaptor that was promised, so will contact sonylistens again.

Also, I do think they expedited the TV shipment after I complained on sonylistens that getting it next week would break their original 3-week promise, and that I was disappointed with that. Getting it yesterday was EXACTLY 3 weeks from the day they promised me the NX810.

I will have to say that the new TV is a breath of fresh air after living with the green blob for several weeks. It is nice to see blue colors again!!!

22. Pooka March 26, 2011 at 10:55 am #

here is the e-mail I got yesterday!! I am going to wait!!

Thank you for contacting Sony regarding your television. Unfortunately the model that you selected, KDL55NX810, has been delayed in shipping. We apologize for this situation and would like to offer you the following options (subject to availability):

Model KDL55HX800. This model would cost $80 less than the KDL55NX810.

You can wait for the KDL55NX810 if you would prefer. We are expecting to start shipping these again in early May.

Please contact us with your decision regarding the above offers, at 866-850-8673 within one week.

If you choose to take the KDL55HX800 at that time an order will be processed for your replacement unit. An additional email will be sent with the shipping and tracking information. It takes approximately 2 weeks to ship the replacement television. The shipper will call you once your television has arrived in your area to schedule a time and day that’s convenient for you.

If you choose to wait for the KDL55NX810 we will notify you via email that will include the shipping and tracking information once these TVs start shipping in May.

23. Pretty Content March 28, 2011 at 10:39 pm #

Had a KDS-60A2000 with the green haze issue. Sent Sony the requested items, photos of the tv displaying the issue and the serial number from the back and tomorrow my KDL55EX710 is being delivered 11 days after I provided them with the photos etc… I will purchase from Sony again assuming this TV lasts…

24. Pooka April 17, 2011 at 8:45 am #

I decided to wait.. The USB port is on the side of the TV.. I saw the Sony Dongle and it is about 3″ long. so it would be sticking out the side of the TV!! Plus sometimes I will put stuff on a thumb drive. However I did read someplace that you can only use Sony thumb drives!!!

25. Pretty Content March 28, 2011 at 10:42 pm #

paid $255 for the nex tv.

26. VICTOR March 29, 2011 at 4:42 am #

how much you paid for the KDS- 60A2000?

27. Cory April 16, 2011 at 8:41 am #

I’m in a bit of a pickle and hope someone can help. I have the same “green tint” problem. My issue is I didnt know about lawsuit and thought was a bulb. Bought a new bulb off ebay (will email pic of receipt if needed) but when I went to install the wires were longer than orig and I ended up breaking the connector inside my tv so no picture now. So after researching on this blog I see now I can get replacement cheap but I dont have picture to prove it. So I’m in desperate need of the “green tint” pic with my ref# E50106882 emailed to ruffing@gmail.com. I know this sounds bad but I should have never had to buy the new bulb and hence wouldnt have broke my tv and should be compensated via the lawsuit. I called them and they offered me the KDL55HX800 for $400. Going to try for EX500 based on this blog. Any suggestions also appeciated. Thanks for reading and I hope you can help me out!

Cory

28. Cory April 16, 2011 at 9:19 am #

Problem solved…..Got a response, local guy even! Will update with what I was able to negotiate w Sony.

Cory

29. DJB April 17, 2011 at 5:14 am #

Have KDS-60A2000. Contacted Sony yesterday about the green tint issue that started. Given reference number, offered 46, 55 or 40 inch, and offer good for a week. Want a 60 inch since 60 inch was purchased. Told to call back Monday during office hours of 8AM to 6PM.

Replaced bulb twice and last one about a month prior to green tint issue. Called about fixing… $1200.00 to $1500.00. Bought this set brand new with no issues until green tint.

No help locally. Any thoughts or ideas to help with this will be greatly appreciated!

Have 60 inch, asked if we could get same size, and was told to call back Monday. The offer is only good for 7 days.

30. MAC530 April 24, 2011 at 3:18 pm #

i was offered a kdl55ex720 @ $210, kdl55hx800 @ $420 and a kdl60ex720 @ $700 upon availability a few weeks back..i was not satisfied with what i had been offered so they told me to wait a few weeks up to a month and call back to see what was being offered then. i want a kdl60nx810

31. Kevin June 13, 2011 at 10:52 am #

Call Sony back and ask for SCOTT FUENTES. He seems to be the only rep that has an sense about good customer service. The rest of them just seem to mess with customers and make the replacement process either difficult, expensive or both.

Kevin K

32. MEZ May 17, 2011 at 6:57 pm #

I am glad to report that I received my new Sony KDS-55NX810 today from Sony Listens.
    I mailed the paperwork and photo they requested 8 days ago. I received the “sticker” notification” email the floowing day (I overnighted the paperwork). The email stated up to 3 weeks for delivery. Last night, I received a “Your TV has Shipped” email with a tracking number. I tracked it in Chicago last night, then when I woke up, it was in my hometown.

I was so happy, I called the carrier DB Shencker and asked if I could come pick it up. 2 hours later it was in my car! I just pulled it out of the box, put the stand together. Had to wait for my nephew (I gave him my 60″ SXRD) to come move the old set out.

(2 hours later)…Got the old set moved, got the 55NX810 up and running, gorgeous set!
    Especially since I only paid $475 for it!

Sony, and very one that put this site together, thank you, thank you, thank you!
    I have been a loyal Sony Cusomer since 1988 (my 1st 27″) and will continue to be!

33. sly1859 September 7, 2011 at 3:33 pm #

Hi Mac, did you ever get the KDL60NX810 as an option?
    My two options are KDL55EX500 for $200 + tax and the KDL60EX720 for $1075 + tax
    which I think is a bit high. I spent over $3400 for my 60″ XBR2
    They basically told me it was a take it or leave it proposition
    Trying to figure this all out and would appreciate any input I can get thanks

34. jdscg May 26, 2011 at 10:45 am #

I’m clueless! We have a Sony KP 65W8500 with the blue haze (for a couple of years now). Is this model part of the lawsuit? I searched thru a lot of the other posts, but couldn’t find this exact model. Would greatly appreciate assistance.

35. MEZ May 26, 2011 at 3:08 pm #

jdscg,
    Here is a suggestion. Google ” I have a defective Sony TV” and there is a page on Facebook. It is regularly visited by employees of Sony. You can leave a message there or possibly get an email or phone number so they can look into it.
    I do know that if you email sonylistens.com you will have MUCH BETTER luck than going through Sony Customer support.

Good luck

36. RadneyKN June 3, 2011 at 10:45 am #

I have a KDS55A2000 with the green haze problem for about 3 weeks. Found this site last night, called “Joseph” about 15 minutes ago. I was given 2 options. 1) Call a repairman at MY expense. 2) 1 week to decide on which replacement model I would like. First was a 3D ready 40″ KDL40EX720 $ 50.00. Second offer was a HDTV 46″ KDL46BX421 at no charge. Third offer was a KDL55EX710 Wi-Fi ready for $ 250.00.They never asked for a picture of the screen or the serial number sticker off the back of my old TV. Took about 15 minutes of answering questions.

37. RadneyKN June 3, 2011 at 11:54 am #

UPDATE: I called back and told them the offer that I wanted to accept and they said that I need to scrape the sticker off of the back of my TV and take a picture clearly showing the problem with a piece of paper taped to the TV showing my reference number. I will be sending it soon via UPS overnight. What a great site with loads of information for the Joe consumer! Thank you all for your help and information. BTW I chose the KDL55EX710 for $ 250.00 +local tax. That model is no longer available at the Sony Store website, but it was listed for $ 2069.00. AWESOME deal…I hope! I will post more if I have any trouble.

38. Kenney June 23, 2011 at 8:13 pm #

I just found this site after coming home to the green haze problem last night.
    Huge relief!
    I called 239.768.7602 and was given 3 options.

KDL46BX421 @ $325 + tax

KDL55EX710 @ $650 + tax

KDL40EX720 @ $450 + tax

Suggestions?

39. Mona June 24, 2011 at 6:54 am #

Kenny Hold out for a better deal..I got my 55″ for$225 plus tx and it is wi fi ready..you deal is not a good one..so call back again…the ball is in your court..and they will do better…good luck

40. Mike June 24, 2011 at 7:47 am #

I got the KDL55EX710 for $100, so try for that.

41. James June 28, 2011 at 8:32 pm #

I called sony June 20,2011 about my 2007 SXRD KDS60A2020 green haze problem and was told i could pay for the repairs my self. I said no to that then the sony rap offered me 4 options 1.KDS55EX710 @ 250 + tax
    2.KDS46BX421 @ No Charge
    3.KDS40EX720 @ 50.00+ tax
    4.KDS60EX720 @ 1075 +tax
    I took KDS55EX710 for $250 + tax I just mailed in my paper work 3 wks to process my case. I”d like to no how do they Sony come up with the cost to get a replacement T.V”s. Some people paid $ 125 or less for a 60 inch some paid way more every offer is diffent some 2 option to 4 options. Any 5 options T.V replacement offers yet?

42. Kenney June 24, 2011 at 7:15 am #

Any advice or suggestions or is it only based upon model number or customer service rep.?
    I paid $2700 initially and replaced the lamp less than 6 months ago. There are a couple of small purple dots that have been around for a year that I tolerated thinking I was out of luck being past my warranty…

43. Kenney June 24, 2011 at 3:17 pm #

Update:
    I posted my frustration on the Facebook site and received several replies and an invitation to send an email to sonylistens by Pat Kennedy. I send off an email an within 1 hour receive a reply from Kennedy asking that I call the 888 number to speak to a rep for more information regarding my current offers. I immediately think that the deal has improved and call only to find out that not only has the original deal not improved, it hasn’t changed. And I am informed that the 40″ model is no longer available. I am not ready to give up yet but so far I am not impressed.

44. Mark June 29, 2011 at 4:54 pm #

James – all those tv’s aren’t the same. That 46in for free has none of the features of the ex720 line. What you’re offered also depends on availability. I was offered 3d tv’s the first time around but at prices I didnt want to pay. Later I was offered something different that I could live with. The cost for the replacement is based on the price of your original tv when you bought it from what I can tell. That’s how someone could get a barebones 2010 model 60in for free and why someone else could be offered a better one for $1000.

45. James July 24, 2011 at 2:01 pm #

Updat my new TV was shiped was 7/20/11 and i receive it on 7/22/11. I was given 4 offers I took the Sony KDL60EX720 for a $1050 + tax and I’m very happy with the TV. The TV is amazing I have the wifi hooked up to get all internet Apps on the on TV. The picture is so amazing in 2D&3D it was worth the $1134.00 with the tax got an 2D/3D hdtv. Rtail price $3300 less then half price. And I will be buying the extended warranty this coming Wed. And from most of the post I have read all who took the replacement deal are happy like me. So yes I think the replacement deal is a good thing after all you get to keep your old TV.

46. Jenn July 10, 2011 at 3:08 pm #

Hello,
    I have a KDF 55xs955 with the typical issues. Contacted Sony listens and was offered a KDL46bx421 for $225 and a KDL 55ex500 for $500. These t.v.’s seem to be very old technology and not a very good replacement considering that I paid a ton for my original tv when it was at the forefront of technology. I need some advice as to how to try and get a better model since I am not too happy with the current offer. Thanks

47. Kevin August 7, 2011 at 2:11 pm #

To all bloggers on this site. Don’t put up with Sony’s crap. These are generally 2nd rate offers given the amount of money most of us spent on these sets. Push and push hard on any of the reps you talk with. They’ll bend.

48. Incensed and outraged in the Midwest September 20, 2011 at 9:02 pm #

Wake up Sony owners. It nauseates me to go to the IHADS page to see all these owners who think that Sony is giving them such a great deal. THEY LOST THE LAWSUIT. I’ll say it again – THEY LOST THE LAWSUIT. The offers have gotten worse – more cash for less tv – and their reps for the most part are badly trained and ill-mannered. They can barely read the script in front of them. The Senior staff are only slightly better, mumbling the same gospel according to Sony and apologizing that they couldn’t meet expectations.

Excuse me – Sony is required to replace the damn televisions and consumers are letting them walk. Must be time for another lawsuit. Any takers???

49. No More Sony For Me September 25, 2011 at 7:45 am #

Count me in; I too was offered the “luxury” to purchase another Sony, an offer for a lesser tv for more cash than was offered to others just a few months ago. Shame on Sony, and I had been a huge Sony consumer for a number of decades. No more; not with this lack of customer service regarding an issue (green haze) that they were well aware of, but still took my $2000 plus for a tv that is not nothing more than junk.

50. RL October 25, 2011 at 1:51 pm #

Count me in. I am so fkg upset with Sony right now. I just started having the yellow screen associated with the optical problem with my KDSR60XBR2. I contacted sonylistens, got a case # and a phone # to call I called and it was not very pleasant. I then got an email with some offers: XBR55HX929 for $900.00 + applicable taxes or KDL55EX500 $100.00 + applicable taxes or KDL60EX720 $875.00 + applicable taxes or XBR65HX929 for $2275.00 + applicable taxes. The question is do I have any other option as a consumer to pursue or should I just take one of these, and if so which one?

51. filmoore November 4, 2011 at 2:45 pm #

Good place to start if ur serious about a lawsuit…Lots of info……I think you’re right. It’s lawsuit time again. We paid good money with the expectation of purchasing a quality product, not a defective product…And their resolution is to have us give them more money and we’re stuck with the responsibility of disposing the defective product that should be their responsibility…I never read anywhere yet that sony took care of disposing the defective product….The times in which we live…Perhaps it will take another lawsuit or zillions of small claims suits in order for sony to do what they should have in the first place and that is replace the defective products that you sold to consumers…

52. Nancy Hinrichs December 19, 2014 at 11:57 pm #

Omg, yes I said same thing. About the reps barely having any training and the language was mumbo jumbo!

53. Rodney September 27, 2011 at 7:11 am #

Hey Kevin, is there a contact number for Scott Fuentes and does he take care of Canada also?

I have a KDS-50A2000 with the same green problem. I almost bought a NEW TV this morning but last night I saw this site and GLAD I DID. I just don’t want to deal with problems with Sony since almost everything I own is a Sony product. If you can help that would be great

Thanks

54. JoePcone October 4, 2011 at 10:03 am #

I was too offered the 55″ KDL-55EX500 for $400+tax My TV at the time when I purchased it was cutting edge an they’re offering me some garbage TV from last year. Absolutely ridiculous.

55. Jim October 29, 2011 at 9:36 am #

I just called Sony and they told me the program expired 2 days ago, and there was nothing they could do. I asked for a supervisor and they don’t work on weekends. She told me they would tell me the same thing. I told her I’ll take my chances. I’ll call back Monday

56. Bob October 6, 2011 at 8:51 pm #

Fix it too. $340 for me to have optic block rebuilt by Tristate Module. Now I could pull the engine block out of the TV in an hour and replace it back in an hour.

57. James November 3, 2011 at 12:18 am #

Any updates on whether the program is still going on?

58. BigDom November 8, 2011 at 6:58 pm #

11/7/2011 SONY offered me the following for my KDSR50XBR1
    KDL55EX500 $775.00 + local sales tax
    KDL46EX500 $515.00 + local sales tax
    Which I am very disappointed in. My Neighbor in January 2011 got these offers
    KDL40EX500 n/c
    KDL 46EX710 $125
    KDL 60EX700 $625
    and somone from work got the KDL 60EX700 for $250.
    I found the following statement on the Web
    “11/3/2011 UPDATE: Sony had been running an “optical block program” for about 1-3/4 years in which owners of their defective LCD rear projection TVs received discounts off newer direct-view LCD TVs in exchange for a legal release. This program was abruptly terminated on October 27, 2011, and a new program was implemented a few days later (on 11/1/2011). However, the magnitude of the discounts was significantly reduced, and it has received a great deal of criticism. It is up to individual customers to decide whether the discounts are worthwhile.”

59. Clubmaker November 8, 2011 at 9:09 pm #

Yikes!! My new 55″ arrived just last week having cost me only $200. When I called in on or about October 20th, I virtually had the replacement TV thrown at me. What in the hell is going on at Sony??

60. Disgruntled November 10, 2011 at 5:06 pm #

Today, 11/10/11 – best Sony would do (at the second level of customer service) is :
    XDL55EX500 – $675
    XDL60EX720 – $1375

This was for a KDS60A200 which was bought for almost $3000

Same issue but the “customer satisfaction” offers keep getting worse Totally unsat

61. BigDom November 10, 2011 at 2:02 pm #

I wasn’t happy with
    KDL55EX500 $775.00 + local sales tax
    KDL46EX500 $515.00 + local sales tax
    I called main office and getting KDL60NX720 for $1850 . Is that good?

What 55″ TV did they give you?

62. Disgruntled November 11, 2011 at 4:50 pm #

Don’t know about the NX720 – probably an upgraded product line – the EX720 got fairly good review from Home Theater Mag and it’s 3D if you want to spend the $150 per pair of glasses – but, you’re still stuck shelling out close to $1500 to replace a very good but flawed TV – Sony no longer will cover any part of a repair – they “offer” it as an option and when you push they tell you that they won’t cover parts or labor – what kind of “offer” is that? They couldn’t answer that question, lol.

63. Dave November 11, 2011 at 10:04 pm #

I have a KDS-50XBR1 that I bought and purchased a 5 year service contract for $600. Sadly, I noticed the yellow stain before it expired, but did not take any action as it seemed to go away.

Now, my bulb is burned out and in researching the best replacement bulb, I see that the yellow stain is a problem that many other have had….I’m pissed. I expected to get 12 years out of this given its $4000 price tag.

What phone # are you using to contact Sony to get your deals?

64. RSD December 4, 2011 at 7:44 pm #

Any update?

65. Disgruntled December 5, 2011 at 4:28 pm #

i did get Sony to knock off $110 because i had replaced the bulb within the past year

66. RSD December 5, 2011 at 4:30 pm #

What was the net price and the model you end up getting it…if you don’t mind can i have your ref# to get it matched, thanks

67. Brandon c January 3, 2013 at 6:23 pm #

I bought a kds 50a2000 in 2001. Got offered a KDL50EX645 $550 + local sales tax or the 55″ for $815. Think I’m going with the 50″.

68. KH in Hou February 10, 2013 at 5:27 pm #

Was this offer made recently? I’ve got to call Sony about the green blob and get this addressed. From what I’ve been reading, it appears that Sony is not offering any more resolutions. Is this correct or am I reading this incorrectly?

69. Brandon c February 10, 2013 at 8:29 pm #

Yes. Got new tv day before Super Bowl.

70. SR in SC February 10, 2013 at 10:17 pm #

Sorry, and no offense, but I have to suspect some of these happy replies are planted. I started my process with Sony about a year ago. Their initial offers were for last year’s model for little better than big-box prices. In fact, I quickly realized that Sony would be making ANOTHER profit on the “deals” they were offering me. After a few months of getting nowhere, I decided to take a chance and take my case before a small-claims court and live with the decision. Obviously, Sony didn’t like that a bit as they immediately referred my small-claims case to their local attorney who immediately filed a motion to move my case to civil court (this is allowed and automatically approved in this state). This meant I would either have to represent myself against their high-powered attorney on retainer or hire my own attorney. In either case, I would have to pay Sony’s attorney and court costs if I lost. I had to back away, since I was potentially looking at $8,000 to $10,000 in costs if I lost. If my experience is any indication, and this is my opinion, Sony is doing all it can to avoid making things right to those of us who got burned. They did not want me to get my case before a small-claims judge and so did their best to scare me off. It worked. I don’t have the legal resources available to Sony. I went out and bought a Sharp product as I have completely, utterly lost faith in Sony and would not want another Sony product, ever.

For additional reference, take a look at this website if you haven’t already:

71. Huey December 5, 2013 at 7:44 pm #

I have a KDS60A2000 which recently started showing the green tint. I was unaware there was a lawsuit against Sony for this problem.
    Last year I contacted Sony about replacing the lamp and I have received sales e-mails constantly since then. So they knew I owned this model that would eventually display the green slime but never informed me that they had offered other customers a significant discount to replace this flawed design models.

Now after reading on the internet the history of this green slime, I contacted Sony. They will give a 15% discount on a new TV. I can beat that any day of the year on Amazon. Great customer service, Not!

Sony doesn’t value their customers and doesn’t deserve my money ever in the future.

Not sure if many of the responses are telling the truth or are Sony employees.

72. Raj January 16, 2014 at 9:33 am #

I have this tv also and did not know about the law suit however I had a technician came to my home and paid him from sony and he did not mentio. Their is a class action law suit he said the problem can’t fix and he needs $150 for coming out to look at the tv . I am calling sony and I was able to get my tv at a 95% discount because I have proof what happens hear I also call the law office who involve in the law suit and they said to call sony and I did.

73. Rahul October 7, 2014 at 12:54 am #

Dear raj,

1) can you provide number you called sony at?

2) also provide no. of law office involved on law suit so i can speak to them?

My 60′ SXRD TV is non-functioning….can i still get another TV for that?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks